- "When you come ’round I never get down, I fly across the floor / I can see you coming on me, and I can’t ask for more"
- 2012 Holiday Gift Guide: Chris Holmes’s Favorite Albums of the Year
- …And A Band! One Of The Weirdest Pop Culture Conventions From The ’60s – ’80s
- Basement Songs: Eddie Vedder with Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan, “The Long Road”
- Here’s Something Else!: Kicking It Old School, Marvin Gaye edition
On a day full of music world shockers, this one might not rise to the level of the R.E.M. breakup, but for fans, the news is monumental. That “classic line-up” of Guided By Voices, Robert Pollard, Tobin Sprout, Greg Demos, Mitch Mitchell and Kevin Fennell, will be dropping a brand new record upon our doorstep on January 1, 2012.
Titled cryptically as ever, Let’s Go Eat The Factory promises to be at least one of many, many, many, many Pollard slabs for the year, but also promises to bring Tobin Sprout out of his musical retirement. This is, as they say, a very good thing. This is the first release for this GBV line-up since 1996′s Under The Bushes Under The Stars, and Sprout’s first new recordings since 2003′s Lost Planets & Phantom Voices. How much material was written by him remains to be seen, given Pollard’s mythic, prolific rate of output.
The album currently stands twenty-one tracks tall, but as things go in GBV-land, this is subject to change:
Laundry And Lasers
Doughnut For A Snowman
Hang Mr. Kite
God Loves Us
The Unsinkable Fats Domino
Who Invented The Sun
The Big Hat And Toy Show
How I Met My Mother
The Things That Never Need
Cyclone Utilities (Remember Your Birthday)
Go Rolling Home
The Room Taking Shape
We Won’t Apologize For The Human Race
- Guided By Voices Let’s Go Eat The Factory Details (stereogum.com)
- Guided by Voices’ Classic Lineup Releasing New Album, ‘Let’s Go Eat the Factory’ (spinner.com)
- Classic Guided by Voices lineup records new album (donewaiting.com)