- listening booth: chicago, “stone of sisyphus” (alternate)
- Basement Songs: Robbie Robertson, “What About Now”
- Book Review: “Marty Feldman: The Biography of a Comedy Legend”
- Suburban Metal Dad no. 114, “Holiday Extravaganza, Day 8 (of 15): The Letter, Part 2″
- Popdose at Kirkus Reviews: An Interview with Scott Weiland
And we’re back! The plan was to run this episode in mid-March, but Lifton accidentally downloaded a virus to his computer and so part of this had to be re-recorded. Let that be a lesson to stay off those porn sites, kids. But I think you’ll agree with me that it was worth the wait. For not only do we have a great batch of songs to ponder, but we also have a spiffy new Chart Attack! theme song courtesy Jay Lifton. Rad!
Joining our bacon-loving host, Dave Lifton, for this edition of Chart Attack! are Matt Wardlaw and Scott Malchus, author of Basement Songs. You can hear more about Scott’s book on an old episode of the Matt ‘N’ Jeff Radio Hour. You can hear more from Matt by hanging around any Cleveland-area KFC.
And now it’s on to the show, recounting the Top 10 from the week ended March 19, 1983.
10. “Mr. Roboto” – Styx
9. “One on One” – Hall & Oates
8. “Separate Ways (World Apart)” – Journey
7. “We’ve Got Tonight” – Kenny Rogers & Sheena Easton
6. “You Are” – Lionel Richie
5. “Back on the Chain Gang” – Pretenders
4. “Hungry Like the Wolf” – Duran Duran
3. “Do You Really Want to Hurt Me” – Culture Club
2. “Shame on the Moon” – Bob Seger and the Silver Bullet Band
1. “Billie Jean” – Michael Jackson
Chart Attack, Episode 2 (1:17:21, 70.8 MB), featuring Scott Malchus, Matt Wardlaw, and Dave Lifton. (Download from )
0:00 Now that is a tasty theme song, wouldn’t you agree?
1:35 Fuck Matt Wardlaw #1. Could it be any other way?
3:34 Fuck Matt Wardlaw #2. It’s early, but we may set a record here.
4:05 Dave gives credit where credit is due to Dennis DeYoung, and yet fails to mention his luscious mustache.
5:11 For the first time in history, “Mr. Roboto” is compared to “Pinball Wizard.”
11:45 Scott finally succumbs to the blue-eyed soul of Mr. Daryl Hall.
16:48 Fuck Matt Wardlaw #3: The Fuckening.
17:53 Dave is having none of Journey’s elevation to rock gods. Perhaps he needs to watch the video for “Separate Ways” again?
18:55 Scott is not drinking any of Lifton’s Haterade. He is, after all, the author of the Popdose Guide to Journey.
21:15 Lifton gets into the nostalgia aspect of hearing Journey in 1983. In the next podcast he’ll tell us all what it was like when Bing Crosby hit it big.
26:04 So what exactly is the first power ballad?
29:16 You know it’s a bad sign when you can’t even get a duet to pose for a cover sleeve photo together.
38:33 We all agree that “Back on the Chain Gang” is a great song. We can probably just stop here then.
41:05 George Harrison clearly took too many drugs in the ’60s.
52:39 Matt Wardlaw is a true believer in recycling. This includes his shitty jokes.
59:31 Fuck Matt Wardlaw #4: Matt Wardlaw and the Taco Bell Band.
1:05:30 Lifton busts a long-standing Michael Jackson myth. And it doesn’t involve the Elephant Man.
We hope you enjoyed this episode of Chart Attack! The next installment should be available in May, as long as Lifton’s computer doesn’t shit the bed again. While you’re waiting please leave us a review on iTunes, and don’t forget to visit our Facebook fan page and the Popdose Twitter feed. Thanks for listening and we’ll see you soon!