- White Label Wednesday: David Gilmour, “Blue Light”
- Adventures Through The Mines Of Mellow Gold 8
- Bruce Springsteen’s "Magic"
- “and if I can’t get an angel / I can still get a boy / and a boy would be the next best thing to an angel…”
- World’s Worst Songs: Heart’s “All I Want to Do Is Make Love to You”
Rock really is three chords. Everything else is window dressing or some arranger getting cute. Or Steely Dan — which some people argue is, actually, far from rock.
In the case of “Alki Point,” a simple Seattle instrumental jam from a regionally popular band back in the 1960s, it’s three chords and one hell of a Wurlitzer piano (think Ray Charles’ “What’d I Say”) backed by a spot-on rhythm section. Dig it. From Northwest Battle of the Bands, Vol. 2 (Knock you Flat!).