Ahoy mateys! Richard Curtis, the pen behind Mr. Bean, Four Weddings and a Funeral, Notting Hill, and Bridget Jones’s Diary has set sail with Pirate Radio, his second film as director (and his first since 2003’s mother-of-all-romantic comedies Love Actually)—and we have five 2-CD soundtracks to give away.
What’s it all about? Here’s the official synopsis of the loosely fact-based comedy, pirated from Focus Features. It docks on Nov. 13.
”Pirate Radio is the high-spirited story of how 8 DJs’ love affair with rock n’ roll changed the world forever. In the 1960s this group of rogue DJs, on a boat in the middle of the Northern Atlantic, played rock records and broke the law all for the love of music. The songs they played united and defined an entire generation and drove the British government crazy. By playing rock n’ roll they were standing up against the British government who did everything in their power to shut them down. The band of rebels is lead by The Count, played by the Academy Award-winning Philip Seymour Hoffman, Quentin the boss of Radio Rock, Gavin the greatest DJ in Britain, Midnight Mark, Doctor Dave, and Young Carl, who comes of age amidst the chaos of sex, drugs and rock n’ roll. The film features an unbelievable selection of music including The Beatles, The Stones, Beach Boys, Dusty Springfield, The Who, Jimi Hendrix, Smokey Robinson, David Bowie, Otis Redding, and Cat Stevens, just to name a few. The film is laugh out loud funny and speaks to the rock n’ roll rebel in all of us.”
So what’s on the playlist? We thought you’d ask.
1. ”Stay With Me Baby”-Duffy
2. ”All Day”-The Kinks
3. ”Elenore”-The Turtles
4. ”Judy In Disguise”-John Fred And Playboys
5. ”Dancing”-Martha Reeves
6. ”Wouldn’t It Be Nice”-Beach Boys
7. ”Ooh Baby Baby”-Smokey Robinson & The Miracles
8. ”This Guy’s In Love”-Herb Alpert & The Tijuana Brass
9. ”Hi Ho Silver Lining”-Jeff Beck
10. ”I Can See For Miles”-The Who
11. ”With A Girl Like You”-The Troggs
12. ”I’m Alive”-The Hollies
13. ”Yesterday Man”-Chris Andrews
14. ”I’ve Been A Bad Bad Boy”-Paul Jones
15. ”Silence Is Golden”-Tremeloes
1. ”Friday On My Mind”-Easybeats
2. ”My Generation”-The Who
3. ”I Feel Free”-Cream
4. ”Wind Cries Mary”-Jimi Hendrix
5. ”A Whiter Shade Of Pale”-Procol Harum
6. ”These Arms Of Mine”-Otis Redding
7. ”The Happening”-Supremes
8. ”Cleo’s Mood” – Junior Walker & The All Stars
9. ”She’d Rather Be With Me”-The Turtles
10. ”98.6″-The Bystanders
11. ”Sunny Afternoon”-Kinks
12. ”Father And Son”-Cat Stevens
13. ”Nights In White Satin”-Moody Blues
14. ”You Don’t Have To Say You Love Me”-Dusty Springfield
15. ”Stay With Me”-Lorraine Ellison
16. ”This Old Heart Of Mine”-The Isley Brothers
17. ”Let’s Dance”-David Bowie
We have five of these bad, bad boys to give away to U.S.-based rock fans. The first five folks to answer these five questions correctly will win one. Stumped? Hey, you’re pirates—we won’t know if you’ve used Wikipedia, the IMDb, etc.
1) Before boarding Pirate Radio as ”The Count,” Philip Seymour Hoffman portrayed which legendary rock n’ roll writer in Popdose favorite Almost Famous?
A) Greil Marcus
B) Lester Bangs
C) Robert Christgau
D) Jason Hare
2) The film career of ”Quentin” (Bill Nighy) got a big boost from his hilarious portrayal of washed-up rock n’ roller Billy Mack in Love Actually. What was the name of the Christmas song that put Billy back on top?
A) ”Christmas is All Around”
B) ”Deck the Halls”
C) ”I Saw Mommy Kissing Santa Claus”
D) ”Let it Snow! Let it Snow! Let it Snow!
3) ”Desiree” in Pirate Radio, Gemma Arterton was a Bond girl in last year’s Quantum of Silence. What Beatles song was her character named after?
A) ”Penny Lane”
B) ”Polythene Pam”
C) ”Strawberry Fields Forever“
D) ”Mean Mr. Mustard”
4) Before she became a mad woman on Mad Men, January Jones (”Elenore”) co-starred in which music-driven movie?
B) Dirty Dancing: Havana Nights
D) Moulin Rouge!
5) ”A Whiter Shade of Pale” is a movie soundtrack favorite. Which of these films does it not appear in?
A) The Big Chill
B) New York Stories
C) Breaking the Waves
D) Hey, trick question—it’s in all of these! Gimme my CD!
Well, OK then. Send in your responses to email@example.com. (Note that the contest is open to U.S. buccaneers only, no P.O. boxes please).
[kml_flashembed movie="http://www.youtube.com/v/hRh1-cyWfGQ" width="600" height="344" allowfullscreen="true" fvars="fs=1" /]