Credit where credit is due: if Jeffrey Thames doesn’t do his 1988 Classic Club Special for KPFT in Houston, then this likely doesn’t exist. Not for a few more years, anyway.
The beat mixes I recorded during my salad days in Athens were mostly train wrecks. You press Record, mix until you run out of tape, and hope for the best. There were usually one or two segues per side that turned out unlistenable. But now, thanks to MixMeister Express, I can make them all nearly perfect! Well, as long as the remix editor does his job. *points bony finger at Terence Trent D’Arby’s editor*
Speaking of which, here’s the track listing. My guideline was to include songs that were released as singles in 1988, even if the album on which they first appeared came out in 1987 (or even 1989). I will be the first to admit, though, that a couple of songs break that rule, including the very first song on the mix. I had to include it, though — it’s just too good.
1. Eric B. & Rakim — Paid in Full (Seven Minutes of Madness)
2. George Michael — Monkey (Jam & Lewis Remix)
3. Sinead O’Connor — I Want Your (Hands on Me) (with MC Lyte)
4. Prince — Alphabet Street
5. Terence Trent D’Arby — Wishing Well
6. Scritti Politti — Boom! There She Was
7. Duran Duran — I Don’t Want Your Love
8. The Cure — Hot Hot Hot!!!
9. Siouxsie & the Banshees — Peek a Boo
10. M/A/R/R/S — Pump Up the Volume
11. Bomb the Bass — Beat Dis
12. Bryan Ferry — Limbo
13. When in Rome — The Promise
14. Information Society — What’s On Your Mind
15. Depeche Mode — Strangelove 88
16. Book of Love — Tubular Bells
17. Peter Schilling — Different Story (A World of Lust and Crime)
18. Front 242 — Headhunter
19. Red Flag — Russian Radio
20. Camouflage — The Great Commandment
21. Erasure — Chains of Love
22. OMD — Dreaming
23. Pet Shop Boys — Always on My Mind
To download the mix, click here.
Thank you, as always, for listening.